STORM - WDS rows dont add to 1?? Trying to produce full wave Energy Frequency Direction Spectrum

Up to Waves

STORM - WDS rows dont add to 1?? Trying to produce full wave Energy Frequency Direction Spectrum

Posted by Alex Byasse at October 01. 2013

Hey all,

Im tring to use the approach documented in several other forum posts for using my WDS and WAS to get my energy freq direction spectrum. Im mutliplying rows of WDS at a time and a frequency by WAS for that time and freq. I'm reasoning that the rows of WDS should add to 1 or 1/delta_dir, but they vary around 0.001 - 0.04?????

Can someone let me know if mabe Im preocessing the raw data wrong in STORM:

Processing Settings:

Method: MLMST

Spectrum: Optimized

Direction: All Beams

Smoothing: 64

Frequency Range: 0.02:0.01:0.48

Offsets: Mounting Heigth: 0.5m

Many Thanks

Re: STORM - WDS rows dont add to 1?? Trying to produce full wave Energy Frequency Direction Spectrum

Posted by Torstein Pedersen at October 03. 2013

Hi Alex,

You are indeed correct.  The intention, as you state, is to have the sum of the row =1 as is the definition for the normalized directional distribution. It appears that Storm outputs the full directional distribution which includes the energy.   We will fix this so that the output is as intended and also consistent with other Nortek wave processing software (QuickWave software)  outputting this data.

So to summarize with the appropriate equation, you are getting "E" and we intended to output "D".

E(f,theta) = S(f)*D(f,theta)

Where

E is the full energy distribution (to be calculated if desired)

S is the energy density distribution (found in the *.WAS file).

D is the normalized energy distribution (should be found in the *.WDS file)

f is frequency

theta is direction

We will get back to you when this correction has been made,

Torstein

Re: STORM - WDS rows dont add to 1?? Trying to produce full wave Energy Frequency Direction Spectrum

Posted by Alex Byasse at October 10. 2013

Thanks Torstein

We're using the wds file now as the full directional distribution and its working ok.

Cheers

Alex 

Posted by Alfredapence at March 13. 2019

Those rows which are also be open from the full of the wave energy we need to come across the every really stormy terms. When the last moment of the storm this will active on the <a href="https://telstraeduaustralia.com/">telstraeduaustralia</a> state will auto have to multiply several.